Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mastering the speed practice

Friday night, home from another aikido lesson, ready to sleep, but I know I don't have to get up for anything in the morning. Before bed, I kicked out a 10 minute practice--2 sets of scales, both Chromatic and E Phrygian, and a quick study of chords. The good news, I remembered the chords. The better news, I was able to get a practice in when I thought I didn't have time.

The only bad thing: My guitar is getting pretty out of tune. Will need to take some time to tune on Monday. Since I no longer have my little tuning device, I have to tune using my keyboard, which is not a problem, just takes about 5 extra minutes. The one good thing about my (near) perfect-pitch--I can tell that it's my guitar out of tune, and not me getting the chord wrong. I still know what it should sound like, and what it will sound like when it's tuned properly. I do need to work on internalizing the correct tones, though. I'm sure it will come with practice.

A short practice is certainly better than no practice at all. I'm happy with myself. This is a step in the right direction. Will post again when I get my first lunchtime practice in, to let y'all know how that goes.

--the Musishian

No comments: